Tuesday 4 August 2015

Essential tonsellectomy coping tips to stick by:

- If you can talk, keep it to a minimum. You don't want to strain the muscles in your throat. To be honest, it's probably nice for my family to get some peace a quiet.

- Use sign language, it's a bit like playing a game because they have to guess what you are trying to say. Find the funny side though if they don't get it. Try not to make it all doom and gloom (I know it's hard as you feel like s***).

- Sleep upright, I have about four large pillows keeping me upright. You don't want to choke on any of that nasty stuff in the back of your throat! Also, try to sleep for short periods so you can stay hydrated. Sleep anywhere, you don't have to say bed bound.

- Stay hydrated. This is soooo much easier said then done. Ice water has pretty much become my best friend and I literally can not be without it by my side. Keep taking little sips often to keep your throat soft and clean. On a few reviews I did read that people can just down it, I have no idea how! Way too painful for me. Try to take the biggest sips you can. Sucking on ice cubs can also help.

- Ice packs. Your throat will feel sore and tight with a burning sensation. If this occurs grab yourself an icepack and hold it against your throat. It does work - promise!

- Pain meds - take them as frequently as possible!! Be honest as well if you feel they aren't working. Your doctor maybe able to prescribe something else for you. You may need to set an alarm during the night so you don't miss a dose. Or if you're like me, you'll wake up like clock work because it's so painful!

- Please try to eat. So, eating has not been my strong point. I've barely eaten for the past 6 days. Jelly doesn't seem to be too bad or angel delight! Mash potato is a bit too thick for me at the moment. Eat whatever you fancy - little and often.

- Have a teddy bear. OK, now I'm going to sound like a 5 year old but, if you ever feel as poorly as I do, you'll want a teddy bear too! 

- Hugs, get lots of hugs and loving from the people around you. You'll need their support.

- Mama Nurse - my Mama has basically been my nurse since I've been back home. Honestly don't know what I'd do without her. One things for sure, you 100% do not want to be on your own. 

- Rest sleepy head. Rest as much as you can, this doesn't necessarily mean sleeping. Just make sure you're chilling, watch movies etc. I have found that my attention span hasn't been too great so I'm not interested in reading or anything which is a shame! I find I'm getting very irritable and therefore get 'over it' really quick and have to do something else. 

- Wish list. Dream, make lists of what you're going to do when you get better. Are you going to buy something to treat yourself? Are you going to have a day out? What meal are you most looking forward to? Always stay positive and look to the future. The days do seem like weeks but it will soon roll round! 

- Be mobile, try to walk about the house if you can. Get that body moving slowly!

- Cry, if you want to cry then please cry. There's no point holding in that tension and frustration. A tonsillectomy is awful!!!! Especially as an adult. You have every right to feel sad and upset.

I hope these tips help you!
I'll do a tip review at the end (when I've finally found the light at the end of the tunnel). Hopefully I'll think of some more ideas for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment